Home Print this page Email this page Small font sizeDefault font sizeIncrease font size
Users Online: 165
 
About us Editorial board Search Ahead of print Current issue Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Advertise Login 
     
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2021  |  Volume : 10  |  Issue : 3  |  Page : 170-177

Oral mucosal lesions in newborns: Relationship with prematurity, low birth weight, and associated factors


1 Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Dental School, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
2 Department of Pediatrics, Medical School, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brazil

Correspondence Address:
Poliana Valdelice Cruz
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, Federal University of Minas Gerais Av. Antonio Carlos 6627, Belo Horizonte, MG, 31270-901
Brazil
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/jcn.jcn_209_20

Rights and Permissions

Background: An increase in prematurity and low birth weight (LBW) has been observed worldwide, to which several factors may be associated. This cross-sectional study aimed to evaluate the relationship between gestational age and LBW with oral mucosal lesions in newborns, maternal health conditions, newborn health conditions, and socioeconomic levels. Materials and Methods: The sample was comprised of 431 pairs of mothers-newborns born from a high and medium complexity hospital (CAAE nº: 57295316.3.0000.5149). Maternal health conditions and childbirth information were collected through the medical records and mothers answered a questionnaire on socioeconomic indicators. Oral mucosal lesions were evaluated by oral clinical examination. Gestational age and birth weight were analyzed, together with oral mucosal lesions and related factors, through bivariate and multivariate logistic regression models (α = 5%). Results: Prematurity and LBW were associated with Epstein pearls (odds ratio [OR]: 1.7; 95% confidence interval [CI]: 1.03–3.0; OR: 1.8; 95% CI: 1.1–3.2, respectively) and mucocele (OR: 4.6; 95% CI: 1.3–16.1; OR: 3.7; 95% CI: 1.1–13.1, respectively), but not ankyloglossia (OR: 1.0; 95% CI: 0.5–2.1; OR: 0.7; 95% CI: 0.3–1.6, respectively) or breastfeeding (OR: 0.5; 95% CI: 0.1-2.1; OR: 1.9; 95% IC: 0.2–15.6, respectively). Conclusion: Preterm and LBW newborns were more likely to have Epstein pearls and mucocele than full terms. Breastfeeding and ankyloglossia were not associated with prematurity and LBW.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed358    
    Printed6    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded63    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal